09:47 UTC+0, 2024-03-29
  • Page 1 of 1
Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Reaction to effective enemy fire
Reaction to effective enemy fire
RaptorDate: Monday, 2014-03-10, 08:50 | Message # 1
Group: Commander
Awards: 0
I'm preparing an Arma2 training about immediate responses and battle drills. Most important is probably the response to direct enemy fire, something along the lines of Dash - Down - Observe - Set - Fire. Now I'm having a hard time to find some RL sources. So far I only got a 15 years old Canadian doc. That ones starts with "Double Tap" before Dash, which is imho weird.

Does anyone have any RL source about this topic by any chance?

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

LuisDate: Monday, 2014-03-10, 10:07 | Message # 2
Group: NCO
Haven't we already done something like this?

Or was it considered combat movement?

You know, like we moved in a formation and you yelled contact and everyone would have to get down and cover a direction...

RaptorDate: Monday, 2014-03-10, 12:27 | Message # 3
No we didn't.

BoooneDate: Monday, 2014-03-10, 14:02 | Message # 4
Group: Lieutenant
Ranger Regiment training video in VBS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHDsQftUzEo

Pretty sure I read something like this in a US Army field manual as well, and I think it also mentioned the double tap prior to taking cover. I'll have a look around and see if I can find that again.

Edit: You could also try Chapter 4 of FM 3-21.8 (infantry platoon and squad)

RaptorDate: Monday, 2014-03-10, 15:07 | Message # 5
Imho the first step in the video is wrong: "drop immediately to a prone position". 50% of the time the enemy can still see and hit you, and crawling to cover takes ages.
Remember JgBtl 292: Guardian when bravo team was approaching the second village and took fire? If I remember correctly, 2 guys ran for cover and survived. The other 2 gone prone immediately in the open and were killed there.
One day later we had this sabotage mission in Chernaurs and suddenly we took fire in the forest. You, Tim and me dashed to cover and survived. Afaik Shadow gone prone immediately and got killed. These incidents are reasons why I want to make that training.

FM 3-21.8 Chapter seems not helpful to me.

Ice found a nice source here: https://rdl.train.army.mil/catalog....lls.pdf

RyeDate: Thursday, 2014-03-13, 08:45 | Message # 6
Group: Registered
Different procedures, different countries, different perspectives. Ours is 5-step-drop. No other place does that. You just have to go with what works. Ours states you run, get down and either crawl to cover or aim and engage. Either way you eventually get to cover.

RaptorDate: Thursday, 2014-03-13, 10:02 | Message # 7
Yea, I guess the dash is kinda optional: if there is cover nearby, then make a run for it. If you can't reach good cover anyway, then you can drop to the ground and return fire first.

Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Reaction to effective enemy fire
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Communications