02:07 UTC+0, 2024-04-19
  • Page 1 of 1
Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » [Arma2] Aircrafts: mistake with CCRP bombing mode
[Arma2] Aircrafts: mistake with CCRP bombing mode
RaptorDate: Tuesday, 2014-06-10, 22:05 | Message # 1
Group: Commander
Awards: 0
Disclaimer: This is about aircrafts, not infantry combat.

Booone, Fluffy and some others will probably remember this incident: last Sunday we tried to hit a target with laser guided bombs from an A10 designated by the ground team via laser designator on Esbekistan. Usually quite an easy thing, but this time 4 bombs went way off the target and none hit.
First theory was kinda of a bug, mb related to the fact that Esbekistan only figures a 6-digit grid. However later that evening the designating and bombing stuff worked perfectly at the same mission.

Now I think there was no bug, but we simply dropped the bombs wrong. Thing is that the target was on a hill with very steep sides and we approached the target always from a valley. And I don’t believe that CCRP works under this conditions. Because this mode is using the current altitude above ground of the airplane and assumes flat terrain to calculate the target point. It doesn’t verify the distance to the target via laser or radar. (See this page 131). Under the conditions we had (target at a hill), the bomb is released far too late and goes way beyond the target. Obviously it was so far off that it couldn’t correct enough to hit the lased target, or mb it didn’t even “saw” the laser.

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

TimDate: Wednesday, 2014-06-11, 11:23 | Message # 2
Group: NCO
I don't think that's true, it makes perfect sense from your point of view though, not from mine as one of the ground troops. What I saw happening is this:
You came in locked on the laser, the moment the bomb was released the forward velocity turned to 0. It basically stopped moving and then plummeted to the ground with which seemed like a normal 1 G acceleration. So instead of the bomb moving forward with the kinetic energy from the plane it just dropped down like it had none of that kinetic energy.

So in conclusion I think it is a bug. Since a bomb always, no matter if the laze, ingress, elevation or anything else is wrong, moves forward with the kinetic energy given to it by the plane releasing the bomb.

Message edited by Tim - Wednesday, 2014-06-11, 11:24

RaptorDate: Wednesday, 2014-06-11, 11:45 | Message # 3
Group: Commander
Have you consider that the bomb might simply not be synchronized correctly in MP? It's like watching someone else throwing a grenade: in the best case the grenade lags heavily while flying, but often it simply looks like the grenade drops to the ground right at the feet of the thrower.

Furthermore what should cause this bug 4 times in a row and then never again?

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

TimDate: Wednesday, 2014-06-11, 14:18 | Message # 4
Group: NCO
I heard the bomb explode where it was dropping to. So it wasn't just out of sync, it exploded somewhere near I saw it go.

BoooneDate: Wednesday, 2014-06-11, 14:53 | Message # 5
Group: Lieutenant
Just had something pretty similar happen again while CASing with Fluffy today on Chernarus. Three misses even though the laser and the plane were on target.

The terrain was similarly uneven as in that case in Esbekistan. I'll have a closer look at how altitude changes effect the bomb drop when I have time.

Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » [Arma2] Aircrafts: mistake with CCRP bombing mode
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Communications