18:52 UTC+0, 2024-04-16
  • Page 1 of 1
Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Troop Leading Procedures (The base frame for effective leadership)
Troop Leading Procedures
BoooneDate: Tuesday, 2014-06-17, 06:59 | Message # 1
Group: Lieutenant
Awards: 0
https://docs.google.com/documen....1AyduiE

I felt like writing this, so I did. I regard most of it as finished, except for some adjustments here and there and maybe a short introduction. The document is based on the US Army Troop Leading Procedures outlined here and here but adjusted for what's actually relevant in ArmA (I wrote the document largely with ArmA in mind, but disregarding some parts it probably also fits for SWAT).

Please do use the comment function to mark any typos or grammatical errors in the document.

Content comments are welcome as well, be it here or in the document. I hope that this will motivate one or the other person to start leading or give some new leaders a few hints for becoming a more effective leader.

RaptorDate: Sunday, 2014-06-29, 09:42 | Message # 2
Group: Commander
I was too lazy to read the whole document, but it looks quite good. Made some suggestions regarding METT-TC because I find that one pretty important.

However the name is kinda confusing. The document is actually mostly about the planning/briefing phase, but not really about leading troops in actual combat. I know it's an US Army term, but still.

Anyway I guess one document about leading won't suffice. We should think about what we need, how to structure it and finally how to teach it in-game. Things that come right now to my mind are Squad Formations as well as Movement Techniques, Squad Attack and Break Contact. Moreover FM 3-21.8 Chapter 1 Section V Individual Leadership is quite good.

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

RyeDate: Saturday, 2014-07-05, 00:20 | Message # 3
Group: Registered
Because you're in a dynamic situation, often, in close quarters, I would mention Quick Battle Orders (QBOs). In this situation, operations are run as skeleton structures. You cannot afford to micromanage too much. I do not like TLPs as outlined because it seems too academic and too 1980's - make the plan, issue the order, watch it unfold. That's not how it works; again, skeleton structure. NCO's will be making adjustments, allow them to, their initiative can win the battle's which win the war.  I think you could expand in some sections, maybe recce with acronyms like CARVER. They're easy to learn and help the C2 element a tonne.

I really like the pre-combat checks (or inspection) section: mission essential equipment is something that all members should carry, or that should be freely available to members without being endangered. Good job mate.

Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Troop Leading Procedures (The base frame for effective leadership)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Communications