11:42 UTC+0, 2024-03-29
  • Page 1 of 1
Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Content - Communication
Content - Communication
RaptorDate: Monday, 2012-01-09, 23:59 | Message # 1
Group: Commander
Awards: 0
Communication is a key element for every successful team movement.

We use certain tactics, we play (and sometimes train) together and therefore we are often able to foresee the next step of a teammate before he makes it. Still we should work on the way we communicate with each other because we can not see everything that a teammate sees atm.

Concerning communication, less is sometimes more.
Whenever you "say" something, your teammates need to listen. That takes some of their concentration away from the current situation. They may be busy to read your message and overlook another important message. While talking our voice may mask a audible target indicator. Futhermore you may block the voice chat while someone else has a more important information.

Just anwser yourself the question: Do I know something, which is currently important for someone else?
If not, just shut up and do your job. If yes, quickly decide which way to "talk" you should use:

The most used way to communicate is voice chat via Mumble or TS3 (the ingame voice causes lag and has very bad quality).
+ very fast, allows to cover and shoot while talking, flexible
- only one officer can speak at once, sometimes difficult to understand
(If this channel is missing, one needs to rely on the other way to chat, which can be pretty difficult.)

For default commands or replies the ingame command menu is pretty useful.
+ very fast for standard phrases, more than one officer can "talk" simultaneously
- only fix phrases
(Tip: when using the old swat3 style (i.e. no menu for mouse just number keys) this method also allows to cover and shoot while talking.)

Keybings are extremely useful to add phrases that are missing in the ingame commands.
+ very fast for choosen phrases, allow to cover and shoot while talking, more than one officer can "talk" simultaneously
- no sound output, so all teammates have to read
(Tip: use colors to make your keybindings easier to read and to distinguish. I personally use the following color codes: Blue for my own status or equipment (flash, primary, etc. in hands; awaiting orders); Yellow for status reports (opened door, sus down); Red for important stuff (Sus spotted, Hostage situation, Officer down);Green for orders (Scan, Open, Hold). Also I use bold for important stuff.)

If you do not have voice chat (or a mic), no fitting ingame command or keybinding, you need to use ingame text chat.
+ flexible, more than one officer can "talk" simultaneously
- very slow, one can't cover and shoot while talking(therefore this method shouldn't be used during a mission)

No matter which channel you use: Keep It Short and Simple (KISS). Do not spam. Be precise, quality is more important than quantity. Use teamchat or groupchat if possible.

I'm currently working on a some communication "patterns" to realize this basics rules.

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

BoooneDate: Friday, 2012-01-13, 16:22 | Message # 2
Group: Lieutenant
I'll also bring this suggestion up here about who should give the clear, to not cause a mess or confuse anyone.

Once a room is cleared by a dynamic entry, everyone should announce the area he cleared and the state of the situation, i.e. clear.

Then when everyone gave their clear the rearguard or leader or someone else in a non-assault position (Depending on leader's choice, otherwise, always leader) will give a final clear saying "All clear". This will be the sign for everyone that no threat exists anymore and the team can proceed to "cleaning up" (Reports, evidences, arrests, ...) and further orders.

RaptorDate: Saturday, 2012-01-14, 22:38 | Message # 3
Quote (Booone)
Once a room is cleared by a dynamic entry, everyone should announce the area he cleared and the state of the situation, i.e. clear.

Spam. Simply too much unimportant information blocking the com channel. For a 4-man assault it would take up to 10 seconds or even more. Remember that we are currently working pretty well with a single "clear".

Quote (Booone)
someone else in a non-assault position

An officer which is not involed in the room clearance itself shouldn't be involed in the communication concerning the clearance.

Imho the communication pattern should follow the movement pattern:
- A1 enters first, so he reports his area "clear" frist
- A2 confirms with "[Blue/Black Team] All clear"
Simple. In case there is something not clear (contact or opening) you can tell direction (left, right, up, down,..) and provide futher information. In case there is really kinda special area you have cleared you can also tell this ofc.

BoooneDate: Saturday, 2012-01-14, 22:43 | Message # 4
Group: Lieutenant
We are not doing that at all. Everyone who like says clear, no system at all.

Quote (Raptor)
- A1 enters first, so he reports his area "clear" frist - A2 confirms with "[Blue/Black Team] All clear"

This is more like what I meant, but another person would give a final all clear which allows for further orders to be placed.

RaptorDate: Tuesday, 2012-07-24, 21:18 | Message # 5

I was wondering about contact reporting. I think we need a certain system for that, since its vital to be aware of suspect location as much as possible. In CQB, there is no problem. I had in mind simple reference system: The door, which is entered, is reference point. for example. if you see suspect at 12oc from the door, you report ''contact 12''. If its on the right ''contact 3'' etc. In the streets, open areas, its more complicated. Though, we could still use our advance path as a reference point, i suppose. Still, communication systems needs some working on.

Yeah I already thought about a detailed explanation of the clock-direction system...but I think it's pretty easy and common sense. You describted it correct and that's the way we use it already.
I already gave a few more details in the RvS thread http://ast.ucoz.org/forum/21-303-1

Quote (Raptor)
So if you report the contact, you teammates may take cover and/or put some additional bullets into the target putting it down faster saving the day. Be presice and short: contact left/front/right/rear [low/up] [window/door/roof/whatever...]. Use clock system to give exact direction or give futher information about the window (which floor? which window number, starting to count from left to right). Also report "contact down" or "clear" to make sure the team can proceed.

Added (11/07/2012, 7:42 AM)
---------------------------------------------
*reminder*

I still observe a lack in communication discipline to often. Pls read this article again guys and try to pay more attention to coms during the game. Remember to give important information quickly and precise to the leader and the rest of the team.
Mb we should pay more attention to this issue also during basic training.

Added (24/07/2012, 9:18 PM)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Raptor)
*reminder*

I still observe a lack in communication discipline to often. Pls read this article again guys and try to pay more attention to coms during the game. Remember to give important information quickly and precise to the leader and the rest of the team.

During normal gameplay yesterday and also during our first LiveOp I observed again this issue, pls pay attention!

Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Content - Communication
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Communications