02:35 UTC+0, 2024-04-20
  • Page 1 of 1
Forums » Gaming » Other Games » Star Trek Online
Star Trek Online
RaptorDate: Sunday, 2012-06-24, 13:42 | Message # 1
Group: Commander
Awards: 0
In short words: MMORPG based in the StarTrek Univers. You take the command of a ship and explore, fight and trade. It's free to play and you don't need to know all 30424 StarTrek movies wink

The turorials are not brilliant and some game dynamics are a bit weird imo e.g. the damage system. But the fights in space are cool, especially fights between fleets. It's really fun to attack a giant borg cube with 10 or more starfleet vessels biggrin
Anyone up to die at my side?
http://www.startrekonline.com/

Details:
In general you have an open world to fly around, talk to people and get quests, like every other RPG out there smile You can fight the AI alone, ofc cooperate with other players and there are also some PvP options (which I didn't tested yet).

Fightsystem:
There are 2 locations for fight. At the ground it's basically a (cheap) FPS. You have a small team (around 5) people with you and you can give your guys some basic orders.
Fights in space are much more fun. You steer your ship either with WSAD key or you use the mouse. You also use the mouse to mark a target and the you fire your weapons. You can do some small ship configuration like transfering energy between system to either powerup your weapons, shields or engines and reinforce shiled in one direction by weaking the other 3 directions. A huge role play certain abilites like special attacks or defense maneuvers. This things depend on your skills and the skills of your bridge officer.

RPG:
Yes, the game has a lot of elements from a role-playing game. You spend skill points on your own character and you equip him for ground missios. Also you equip your ship. And you have to hire, skill and equip also some bridge officers which give you special abilites in space and ground. And finally there are other crewmembers called Duty Officer which support your bridge officer and might be send to special assigments.

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

LuisDate: Sunday, 2012-06-24, 13:45 | Message # 2
Group: NCO
I shall Die protecting my lord! XD

SokolDate: Sunday, 2012-06-24, 14:14 | Message # 3
Group: Ally
Quote (Raptor)
Anyone up to die at my side?

Sure , why not xD

Going to get it today I think.

RaptorDate: Sunday, 2012-06-24, 15:25 | Message # 4
Luis: "I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country." wink

Uniqu3Date: Monday, 2012-06-25, 14:12 | Message # 5
Group: Registered
There's a funny story in this game for me, actually...I did look into it, and it was initially quite appealing (and here is where I started to download it) and then I watched some review videos and thought it was quite crap (by this point? Shift + Delete). :/

Message edited by Uniqu3 - Monday, 2012-06-25, 14:18

RaptorDate: Monday, 2012-06-25, 16:01 | Message # 6
Well, I like it. It's not a "serious" simulation like the X-series, instead it's a fun RPG. Easy to play, hard to master smile

CerberusDate: Tuesday, 2012-06-26, 12:56 | Message # 7
Group: Registered
I got this game, if you wanna play sometimes, call me, ill join smile Although Imma have to create a new character :<

RaptorDate: Wednesday, 2012-06-27, 04:03 | Message # 8
I really like the game, especially the fights in space. On the opposite ground fights are imho kinda boring, but they don't happen that often and don't last very long.
I must admit that the game offers a lot options but lacks of proper describtion for many. For example I discovered just by accident that you can set you weapons in an automatically fire mode in space. And how to really effeciently choose and train bridge officers is kinda riddle for me, important information about them seem to be distributed in different menus or not available at all.
Some help is available here wink http://www.stowiki.org/Main_Page

Btw: if we can gather 5 people we can create our own fleet (kinda guild or clan). Not sure though if we gain anything execept a common bank to share items.

Forums » Gaming » Other Games » Star Trek Online
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Communications