12:19 UTC+0, 2024-03-28
  • Page 1 of 1
Forums » Gaming » Other Games » Red Orchestra 2
Red Orchestra 2
RaptorDate: Friday, 2013-09-27, 10:01 | Message # 1
Group: Commander
Awards: 0
Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 is this weekend free on Steam. I've heard alot about it in the TD forums. Seems to be a nice tactical FPS in a WW2 scenario. Anyone knows this game, or would like to give it a try this weekend?

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

TheIceManDate: Friday, 2013-09-27, 11:54 | Message # 2
Group: NCO
Awards: 1
I dont know this game but I would give a try...

No Retreat No Surrender

BoooneDate: Friday, 2013-09-27, 13:19 | Message # 3
Group: Lieutenant
I bought it a while ago. It's multiplayer PvP so certainly it's not the same experience as otherwise but I think we can try to give it a tactical side, with an actual leader and all that jazz. Drop me a message somewhere when you're up to play.

LuisDate: Friday, 2013-09-27, 13:21 | Message # 4
Me & Booone both own the game and have played it b4. I can certanly reinstrall it.

LuisDate: Tuesday, 2014-05-06, 22:02 | Message # 5
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

This is a World War 2 based First person shooter which mainly consists in capturing strategic locations in order to reduce your enemy reinforcement making your opponents loose.
The game offers you the option to play on either the Axis or the Allies (Some time Americans other times Soviets) Each side of the battle offers you different weapons and items, which has its own perks and disadvantages. As you play you will rank up in the game, ranking up in the game will enable you new perks that will aid you in combat.

The game currently supports English, French, German, Russian and Polish languages and it can be played in Coop mode (PVE) or Versus mode (PVP)

The game campaign does not have a story itself, well kind of doesn't. The campaign consists in scenarios that you would normally find in multiplayer but played in PVE.

Personally I find the game amusing to play with friends and if you are into world war 2 games this is perfect for you as it offers you, the player, a realistic and enjoy full environment.

Message edited by Luis - Tuesday, 2014-05-06, 22:04

RaptorDate: Thursday, 2014-05-08, 20:30 | Message # 6
Group: Commander
I just tried that game and I think it's horrible. Just random people taking random roles doing random stuff at the map. No briefing, no planning, and almost no communication or coordination with your teammates. Sorry, but team-work means for me to work together with my whole team, not just with 3 people out of 32.

Besides that awful public gameplay I don't like the minimap and toggleable HUD which show too many information via fancy symbols to get any kind of atmosphere going. Furthermore the respawn options are often limited to: far away from your teammates or next to an enemy. A round system without respawn like in CS would provide better realism in my eyes. Finally I didn't really get used to the controls and coversystem either, however mb 2 hours of gameplay is not enough for that.

Bottom line: I would try the game again at some private server with proper teamwork. But when it comes to public gameplay, I prefer CoD4. Achieves a bit less realism but usually better teamwork because the teams are smaller.

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

BoooneDate: Friday, 2014-05-09, 12:09 | Message # 7
Group: Lieutenant
Briefing, planning and thorough communication don't really happen in public gaming except for maybe some very special incidents.

I guess that's just not the type of game for you.

The HUD is alright IMO. The fact that it hides automatically and you have to actually "pull it up" to use it is something I haven't really seen in another game. And without this HUD, the game will be even more chaotic because half the people will not know where to go.

I think the game gets the WWII atmosphere quite right. What would have made it a lot better for this would be positional VOIP like with ACRE. Small teams become kinda weird here because we are fighting WWII after all and with a shitload of soldiers on each side, an isolated 8vs8 battle is kinda weird. And no respawn is also a bit weird for the same reason (not to forget that the game is incredibly frustrating if you have to wait 2 minutes after each death for the round to end - there is a gamemode that does this).

Private servers, proper teamwork - sure, maybe when we have 50 regulars around. Anything smaller is kinda boring and unrealistic in this game and for this scenario.

Forums » Gaming » Other Games » Red Orchestra 2
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Communications