12:08 UTC+0, 2024-04-26
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Content - Translating some Russian materials
Content - Translating some Russian materials
Jack0725Date: Saturday, 2014-03-22, 20:20 | Message # 1
Group: Enlisted
Awards: 0
Hello everyone.
At first I was managing to post here some translated materials from a blog of Russian ex-military man, but then I've decided to go further and translate some more stuff from Russian books and just opinions of soldiers and officers about tactics and use of weapons. I think, considering experience gained in Afghan, Chechnya and other conflicts, it could be interesting and useful. So if it is OK and not against the rules, I will post something tomorrow.

"Dunon eddi aidulegos
Treba ansra nu eddi onnas
Druco-critus me gabici
Rac senoxs auagomos
Aue, aue, inte noxtin"

BoooneDate: Saturday, 2014-03-22, 21:28 | Message # 2
Group: Lieutenant
Sounds very interesting, nice effort! I was trying to find something about low-level infantry structure recently, simply putting Russian Wikipedia into Google Translator gave me some insights about which roles there are in a common squad, but all I found was about Motorized Rifle Squads.

Would be cool to read something from and about low-level leaders (platoon-level and below) of infantry on how their structure and their leading works. Maybe also about equipment availability and troops used in their Afghanistan campaign, since I'm currently starting a mission series on that in Arma2. If you have/know/found something in that regard, I'd be very grateful if you could share it.

RyeDate: Saturday, 2014-03-22, 23:37 | Message # 3
Group: Registered
Are the articles by Specnaz guy?

Jack0725Date: Tuesday, 2014-03-25, 11:13 | Message # 4
Are the articles by Specnaz guy?
If you're about special forces - since he participated in counter-terrorist operations in Chechnya and got himself injured in combat, I think so.
Anyway, here are some pictures about Afghanistan. Terrible, eh?
I've left some untranslated, because I don't think it is useful now (clothes, where to press if you want it shooting etc.). I can translate it later if you want.
As for tactics - I have some materials about ambushes counter-ambushes and work in pairs, that's all I got for now. I will translate some of this and post today.

Added (23/03/14, 13:23)
---------------------------------------------
Material from blog.

Let's talk about group movement. I'll start with an introduction. Tactic must be chosen from possibilities and conditions. So quantity of move variants are ENDLESS. I will write here about most simple and basic variants which you can use always and, if needed, quickly explain «how» to your teammates. So: you have a group of armed monkeys, and you need to move in certain 'square' for accomplishment of tasks (diversional,reconnaissance etc.). First what you need to do before moving out: split your team to 3 parts. You must include point, core and rear of your team. If you have enough units and if it is neccessary, you can also make side (flank) guard. Let me stop here. Side guard must be put in left and right sides of a team and closes core of the group. Side guard is one of the best counter-ambush ways. if you have enough soldiers and firepower there – you can do a  «claw» maneuver and move into an ambushers flank.

If you don't have enough units - you can put just one-two soldiers in your flank. BUT you must always remain a visual contact with them! Watch your soldiers. Usually, leader doesn't assign such thing permanently, but temporary, if there can be an ambush or dangerous spots. And also when group move in thicket, when there can be close combat with enemy.

All right, let's get to the point. Point is, and I won't gonna afraid saying it,the most important part of your group. First and most important is point's duties.
They must "lead" the team. They must choose "trajectory" of group's path, reckon surroundings, UNCOVER MINES, TRAPS AND AMBUSHES.
So, the first guy who must be on pont is SAPPER! For movement control and quick communication leader's assistant must be also on point. So even tiny squad must have at least two soldiers on point. Usually, it has 4 men. One of them, if possible, is a sniper with «silenced» weapon. Point stops the group, if needed and moves to scout the surroundings in case of something (for example: ambush, dangerous direction, hill, blind spot in thickets, separate buildings etc.)
Distance between groups (point-core-rear) depends of possibilities and objective, but usually, not more than 50-70 meters (equals distance of visual contact; if in thickets - move closer, to 20-30 meters). Point can, if neccessary«break away» on distances about 200-250 meters.

Core. Everything is simple there. There is leader, heavy weapons, most of units.
Rearguard. Common mistake of young soldiers – relaxing in rear. You can not allow this. Enemy's scouts can move behind your team and watch your movements, helping your enemy to coordinatelocation of ambush. And when you'll be surrounded, only rearguard,
by not letting enemy "close" the trap, can give your team a corridor to disengage and move out. You need to watch your rear!
Before moving out let your operators to jump several times (if something makes noise - fix this). Cartridge must be in chamber, rifles must be put in safe mode. Only pointmen can move without it. And don't put soldiers with SVD or a war elephant with AGS on point :)Another thing. First man on point (sapper) looks under his feet, #2 looks forward, rest are left and right. After moving out troops from point to rear show where they look to each other. Accordingly, #3 shows: "I cover left", so every"even" soldier will cover the right, "uneven" to the left. Don't forget to watch that there's no holes in formation,
especially pay attention to distance between groups.

Added (24/03/14, 12:00)
Some more pictures for you:

Added (25/03/14, 11:13)
Russian phonetic alphabet

А - Анна - Anna (A - Alpha)
Б - Борис - borEEs (B - Bravo)
В - Василий - vasEEliy (V - Viktor or W - Whiskey)
Г - Григорий - greegOry (G - Golf)
Д - Дмитрий - dmEEtriy (D - Delta)
Е - Елена - yelEna (E - Echo)
Ё - Елена - yelEna AND Ёлка - yOlka (fir-tree) (YO - no word)
Ж - Женя - zhEnya (ZH or J - Juliet)
З - Зинаида - zeenayEEda (Z - Zulu)
И - Иван - eevAn (EE or I - India)
Й - Иван краткий - eevAn krAtky (like Y in "toy" - no word)
К - Константин - konstantEEn (K - Kilo)
Л - Леонид - leonEEd (THIS IS SPA L - Lima)
М - Михаил - meekhaEEl (M - Mike)
Н - Николай - neekolAy (N - November)
О - Ольга - Ol'ga (O - Oskar)
П - Павел - pAvel (P - Papa)
Р - Роман - romAn (R - Romeo)
C - Семён - semYOn (S - Sierra)
T - Татьяна - tat'YAna (T - Tango)
У - Ульяна - oolYAna (OO or U - Uniform )
Ф - Фёдор - fYOdor (F - Foxtrot)
Х - Харитон - khareetOn (KH or H - Hotel)
Ц - Цапля - tsAplya (heron) (TS or C - Charlie)
Ч - Человек - chelovEk (human) (CH)
Ш - Шура - shOOra (SH - no word)
Щ - Щука - schOOka (SCH - no word)
Ъ - Твёрдый знак - tvYOrdiy znAk (it can't be explained easily - no word)
Ы - Еры - YEry AND Игрек - EEgrek (also a hard one - no word)
Ь - Мягкий знак - mYAkhkiy znAk (soft sign, something like a Serbian J - no word)
Э - Эхо - Echo AND Эмма - Emma (like A in "mayor" - no word)
Ю - Юрий - YUri (YU - no word)
Я - Яков - Yakov (YA or Y - Yankee)

Note: words like "Roger" or "Tango" have their own equivalents in Russian, you can't say "Roman, moving out" or "Tatyana, 12 o'clock!". So with the squad names like "Bravo Team" or "Echo Team" - you can't name your team like "Boris Team" or "Yelena Team".

Attachments: 7620162.jpg (439.5 Kb) · 1412604.jpg (454.9 Kb) · 9158163.jpg (336.6 Kb) · 6933383.jpg (282.4 Kb)

"Dunon eddi aidulegos
Druco-critus me gabici
Rac senoxs auagomos
Aue, aue, inte noxtin"

Message edited by Jack0725 - Monday, 2014-03-24, 12:01

BoooneDate: Tuesday, 2014-03-25, 13:22 | Message # 5
Group: Lieutenant
Cool stuff, nicely done.

Whoever wrote this, did he serve as a commander himself (of what?), and if you know that, when did he? Also, when was this stuff written?

What unit (size and type) where these advices about movement formations and positioning referring to? You mentioned "group" a few times, does that actually just mean a group of people in the sense of the word or is that an equivalent unit to a platoon or something like that?

The translated pictures are also good, gives some insight into how to set up equipments.

Otherwise, thanks again, nice that you included a phonetic alphabet as well (although I think this could just be found on Wikipedia as well).

Jack0725Date: Tuesday, 2014-03-25, 18:36 | Message # 6

Whoever wrote this, did he serve as a commander himself (of what?), and if you know that, when did he? Also, when was this stuff written?

Not much is known about him, since, as I said, he participated in counter-terrorist operations in Chechnya (at least in First Campaign he certainly did, he proved it several times by his words) and it is pretty dangerous to reveal personal data about participants of Chechnya war, especially about those who was in Spetsnaz or similar units. Although, judging by his materials he has pretty much experience in ambush theme.
I personally think he was a small Spetsnaz squad member. Whether he was a leader of it or not, it doesn't make much difference, because he tells mostly about squad or platoon work in general.

What unit (size and type) where these advices about movement formations and positioning referring to? You mentioned "group" a few times, does that actually just mean a group of people in the sense of the word or is that an equivalent unit to a platoon or something like that?

It is flexible, but as you can see by the pictures, it is mostly about platoon (20-30 operators). His blog posts may seem kinda paranoid, since there are posts about bad Russian government and NATO forces as an enemy shown up constantly. He shares his Chechnya experience by pointing out a possibility that a full-scaled war might happen very soon, so people must be ready.

Added (25/03/14, 15:00)
Material from blog

So, I've stopped on group movement. In this part I will briefly write about formations and in the next one I'll tell about some basic maneuvers.

Your two main options are "one column" and "two columns".

This is "one column". A perfect decision for "closed" areas, a wood, for example. This formation give you a good mobility and makes sapper's work easier. It's hard to work frontally, without formation, so if pointmen want to live, they must run and seek everything they can. Flanks are bad, but if neccessary, it can be cured with flank guard. That's what you will do for the most of your work. Typical "guerilla" variant.

This is "two columns" variant (point formation is random here). It is used in patrols and work with locals. This formation is good when you walk on wide road. First - both sides of the road are being checked for IEDs, which is one of patrol's objective. Second - when you caught in ambush, at least half of operators can fire by covering behind the other side of the road. This formation makes "immediate" ambush placement harder. It is also in placements. People are stretched in two columnsby two sides of a street and moves. When being caught in ambush, turns out that your team is on the blind spot of the street, and that is good. I mean, if you move in some kind of village - you stretch your team by fences and walk on the road. It is possible too in big cities, but it is better to move inside the buildings and run between them.

All right, something more about "two columns". It might not be useful for you, but you can be in a situation, that you got couple of APCs :))) I got lucky and found some info about that in a book and I won't risk - I've found a picture and will upload it entirely.

I hope that you'll get why it is right.

That's it. And one more thing. If your team has little amount of units IN THICKETS  (city tactics is another team for a dissertation) - there's no sense to make a column for you. Form your team to place maximum of firepower IN FRONT, because it is obvious that you don't have any flanks. For example: if you got 4 units - you can do a diamond (American special forces like that formation), or you can do a wedge if you have more operators. But don't stack in two columns if you have about seven units.

Added (25/03/14, 18:36)

Just some interesting video. Now, I don't know about is it true or false, but I know that Russians practice things that might seem to American or NATO colleagues insane and crazy, so this could be true.

"Dunon eddi aidulegos
Druco-critus me gabici
Rac senoxs auagomos
Aue, aue, inte noxtin"

RyeDate: Wednesday, 2014-03-26, 00:19 | Message # 7
Well he certainly wasn't a medic. When he discusses a video that went online showing an ANA soldier being blown to pieces and the U.S. Combat Medics treating him he made an article on it commenting about the failures of medical treatment, even though the only suggestions he made were simple first aid that can be learnt out of any first aid book opposing all the current medical science. He made a lot of fatal observations that are bluntly... wrong. I guess Russia does not have TCCC and a 98% casualty survival rate with anyone arriving at a MTF with vital signs. My thoughts on this made me think two things, either: 1. He's not Spetsnaz but was in the Army and is talking baloney, 2. He left in the good old days when they said "Oh you'll be alright" with half your face ripped off and doesn't know any better.

This is what he wrote on that event:

"Article

Or here
http://player.vimeo.com/video/31066760

I receive very good video. ISAF Coalition Soldier steps on a landmine. Left foot was torn apart, several fragmentation wounds (by shrapnel).
(lot of them actually). I was asked about first aid, so I guess it will
be understandable.

I don't have an opportunity to look at wounded, but something can be told even through video. I will say from start,
that it doesn't mean, that I can do it better. So this is no more than
methodical advices. More than that - cause I am not involved in the
situation, Ill give only basic hints.

1 - The tourniquet was applied unforgiveable long.

2- You need to talk with wounded all time. For future, even if wounded in
the Clinical death status, you need to continue talk with him. First it
helps focus and mobilize yourself. Second it really has the point even
for "dead". You can disagree with me (don't believe to me) but I heard
clearly everything my comrades spoke, while I was loaded inside a
chopper. Even through my life was supported by heart-lung procedures,
cause my own heart has stopped.

3- One of the most first action is to check the head for the open wounds of skull. But bleeding face
gets soldiers out, and they forgot to check back of the head. There is a
possibility of crushing back of a head on a stones (to the brains)
through the falling. Very important to check the head when fragmentation
wounds is possible.

4-There is a reason to fix the head with hands. There is a bad wound, probably fractured (broken) bones. Soldier
through moving can worsen his wounds.

5 - Did you get why you need scissors?

6 - There was reason to bandage his face - not tightly, cause of broken
bones - that way, that wounded cannot look, cant open his eyes. Often
for a wounded in a shock status seeing his wounds can be more fatal,
than the wounds themselves. You need to talk that everything is fine,
that he was just scratched and that you now will take care of
everything. And don let him look at his wounds.

Check that - when the first wave of shock passed, wounded sit down without help. Don't
think that the wounds from some PMN kills, no its not working that way.
( from translator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMN_mine)
It designed to maim - this is more profitable from the economical point of view.
If you will speak with wounded, for not letting him pass out from you, and
prevent him from bleeding out - then everything will be ok. Most of
importance - don't be afraid of torn apart limbs and skin.

As for Yankees actions - its ok. At first on stress they start to fool around, bad but happens. 15 minutes for the first aid its a very long time, Its
their luck, that the wound type allow to get result even that way.
Medevac arrival (chopper) in time, just as in best examples of our army
in afghan war (its about Soviet army - trans.). Now of course everything
is bad - lesser number of birds, and lower level of readiness (its
about modern Russian army - t). In the whole I didn't saw dumbasses, who didn't know what to do. Pretty good first aid was given by the nearest
soldiers, its a very good level of training."

Jack0725Date: Thursday, 2014-03-27, 10:50 | Message # 8
@Rye
Well, in Russian army soldiers are taught only first medical aid, and that's it. As far as I know. They can do something with bullet wounds (like put a tournoquet above a wound etc.), but I don't think they can do something serious with injuries from a mine. In general, I think it could be right if a person would speak to the injured soldier while team awaits for a field medic.

Added (26/03/14, 18:37)

Added (27/03/14, 10:50)
Material from blog

All right, group maneuvers. We have a column formation, as we remember.There are tons of tactical decisions. I will describe the most popular ones, which you can do even with monkeys once when you explain what do you want from them. OK, so the list is... "caterpillar", "checkers",
"claw", "bowl"... yeah, I think it's enough for you.

So the most simple move is "caterpillar". It is beautiful in forest closed areas. Point is: your column is taking shots from flank (can be from front also). The leader decides to disengage. (This is the most important. I suppose many people think that you have to battle every time you taking fire. In reality you most likely will try to fall back and not engaging in combat. Your enemy will do the same thing. If you don't have "seek and destroy" objective, of course. Each human wants to live and if you don't have heavy 300 or 200* - you have to go, and quickly). Leader, depending on the situation, orders «CATERPILLAR LEFT!». What does it mean: for example, you have your tangos on 3 o'clock.You turned to the right (it is your 12 o'clock now). And last RIGHT operator starts to run through all column and takes place of last operator to the left. While doing that he warns the operator who is last in the column now that he must to run after him (in this case that operator must cover 2 o'clock). And thus the group moves to the left, soldier by soldier. It is easy to overcome 200 meters in 2 minutes. In forest it is 100% disengagement. "Caterpillar", actually, must hold the "round" defense, but it depends. It is a bad example, to be honest, because when you move left, you move deeper into enemy's positions, but you must quit from combat, or else you can be surrounded. But you got the point. Below is a video link, where SEALs does something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nORcfwY2Z7c&feature=related

"Checkers". "Checkers" is like a "caterpillar", but operator doesn't run through all column, but through, for example, 4 soldiers.

Picture is sh*t, but I think you got it.  It's like actual checkers, one operator out of four stands up and run with others at the same time. This one is good at open space. From personal experience it is good when you move inside the house while shooting at enemy who's outside. Moving from window to window throughout the building. Just a corridor, and you have a view from it on the window, so you shoot in other house, for example, right from the doorway. Good dynamic movement. 

"Claw"...

Your column has been caught into ambush or because of 200/300 (they will happen, 100%) you can't disengage. Leader orders (like on this drawing): "CLAW LEFT!!!". Last operators move left, then to №2 position and appear in enemy's flank in chain formation. This is the most popular counter-ambush maneuver. An offensive one. So when you do an ambush - you need to cover your flanks, cause they will be in the most dangerous position.

Bowl. Actually, I don't think you even need this. You won't do it right anyway. Ah, forget it. I don't like this maneuver anyway.**

P.S: The only offensive maneuver is "claw" here, so the rest of those help you to quickly disengage, which means - to keep you alive. There are many offensive maneuvers, but those aren't for you. First: the goals are too narrow and doubtful (attack on trench or suppress of MG, as you can see it gets old). Second: it harms your health. Don't bother with it. 

* 200 - KIA, 300 - WIA (Russian military slang)
** I will upload the information about this maneuver soon

"Dunon eddi aidulegos
Druco-critus me gabici
Rac senoxs auagomos
Aue, aue, inte noxtin"

RyeDate: Thursday, 2014-03-27, 13:28 | Message # 9
It's a funny use of terminology. The "caterpillar" he links the video to is a center peel in our terminology - or as some like to say... the "tunnel of love". biggrin

Jack0725Date: Sunday, 2014-03-30, 10:22 | Message # 10
For those who is interested: as people say, this guy actually served in Spetsnaz in major rank and was a leader of platoon in company. Also by his words he's about 50 years old now.

Added (30/03/14, 10:22)
Sorry, can't find a "bowl" explanation for now. Here's some pictures:

"Dunon eddi aidulegos
Druco-critus me gabici
Rac senoxs auagomos
Aue, aue, inte noxtin"

Message edited by Jack0725 - Thursday, 2014-03-27, 17:23

Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Content - Translating some Russian materials
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Communications