22:11 UTC+0, 2024-04-26
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Debate - Contact reporting
Debate - Contact reporting
LecterDate: Friday, 2012-11-23, 00:48 | Message # 1
Group: NCO
Awards: 0
I figured a way how to help us get clearer picture of contacts without taking too much time. Usually, when we report visual contacts, we dont describe their awareness towards us, thus, we are using tac-aids, where they are not necessary. Idea is really simple. Just add one word terms, which would describe certain level of contact awareness.
For example: If you scan and spot non-facing contact, which is close to the door. In this situation, flashbangeh is not necessary, because your team is not in danger and bang could alert other possible tangos in site. So all you do is report (''non-aware contact, which doesnt pose a threat'') Tinkerbell (any harmless thing would give the right idea). Then EL can decide to silently sneak up on him and use good-old-police-brutality-to-the-face punch.
On other occasion, if you spot a contact and you are certain, that he will cause trouble, just report ,,TANGO!'' (as in someone, who is seriously ready to dance hard) And without even further words, tango may get tac-aided by your buddies.
If you cannot assess contacts awareness or its simply hard to evaluate if its in position to cause real trouble or no, just report ''X'',''X-ray'' (as in 'unknown'), so that further actions could be decided by leader.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house

,,Not a single chainsaw was given that day...''

RaptorDate: Friday, 2012-11-23, 09:56 | Message # 2
Group: Commander
Bro, Tinkerbell? Seriously?

Anyway I don't think it's necessary to introduce special new terms. That would just make the communication confusing for newcomers. One can simply add "unaware" or "not facing" when appropriate.

And btw: "Tango" is not about dancing, it's another word for "Threat" used in military radio communication.

If you ask me contact reporting is pretty easy:
"audible" - for every audible target indicator (e.g. foodsteps, speech)
"contact" - for every general contact (e.g. unkown person, door opening, shadow)
"tango" - for every thread (armed contact, suspect)
with additional information as needed:
- direction e.g. left, front, 11 oc, high ("upstairs"), low
- specific position e.g. 2nd window 3rd floor
- special issues/details e.g. foodsteps, shadow, gasmmask, unaware, not facing

In the broadest sense one might also include "friendly!" and "frag!" in this catergory.

(PS: communication patterns and terms will be definitively part of our SOPs)

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

LecterDate: Friday, 2012-11-23, 10:44 | Message # 3
Well, tinkerbell is harmless, right? biggrin

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house

,,Not a single chainsaw was given that day...''

ShadowManuDate: Saturday, 2012-11-24, 01:54 | Message # 4
Isn't it threat? If I remember threads are for grandmas who likes to make sweaters xD

Quote (Raptor)
"contact" - for every general contact (e.g. unkown person, door opening, shadow)

Quote (Raptor)
- special issues/details e.g. foodsteps, shadow, gasmmask, unaware, not facing

I hope it isn't about me xD

In anycase, I agree with Raptor's explicit simplicity of communication.

RyeDate: Friday, 2012-12-07, 11:43 | Message # 5
Group: Registered
In the military grenades thrown by friendlies is frag out. Grenades thrown by enemies, i.e. one lands next to you, is yelled grenade. Differentiating obviously is important.

A true sighting report or target indication is long. DDD: Direction, distance, description. CONTACT FRONT, 200 METERS, ENEMY INFANTRY SECTION. In Close Quarters you have limited time, you're under duress and therefore communications should be short and precise. Sometimes you just can't! Shooting therefore means contact.

We used to, unofficially and inaccurately, call unaware enemies targets and aware enemies contacts if it is of any help.

TheIceManDate: Friday, 2012-12-07, 15:01 | Message # 6
Awards: 1
Thanks Rye...and what about to join us my friend? : P

No Retreat No Surrender

RaptorDate: Saturday, 2012-12-08, 12:18 | Message # 7
Group: Commander
Yea, was thinking about the nade stuff also. Especially since we played some RvS lately and there we don't have the keybinds of swat. I used so far:
frag/bang/gas/smoke/stinger ready! - when I have the grenade in hands
* hot! - when the pin is pulled
* out! - when I throw the nade finally

And as Rey already said simply "Frag!" or "Grenade!" if an enemy throws something in our direction.

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

RyeDate: Thursday, 2013-01-03, 16:13 | Message # 8
Yeah Iceman, every time I come on there's only a few of you guys around; timezones. Plus most of the guys don't know me but I'd love to join you for a game at somepoint.

TheIceManDate: Thursday, 2013-01-03, 17:17 | Message # 9
Awards: 1
I know you play also ARMA 2... we have ARMA 2 server so you can join us there too...Can I know what is your SWAT 4 nickname?

No Retreat No Surrender

RyeDate: Friday, 2013-01-04, 02:28 | Message # 10
I need to reinstall SWAT 4 but it will be Rye. I have RVS and ARMA 2 ready to go. I'll check out your A2 server for sure.

Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Debate - Contact reporting
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Communications