• Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Content - Arma 2 Tactics manual
Content - Arma 2 Tactics manual
ReibenDate: Friday, 2012-11-23, 12:35 | Message # 1
Group: Registered
Awards: 0
Hey guys,

i repost 1 of the best tactics manual for arma 2 because i saw somewhere we should adapt the tactics to fit with the new type of operation we could do in Arma. Our swat tactics are good for CQB and Anti terrorist/hostage rescue action and imo we should keep it for the CQB action in arma but in opens area our tactics are not adapted for the real warfare operation. In others hands some tactics we learned could be more useful in arma than in SWAT like the cloverleaf formation.

link to the manual: http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/index.html

Nimquam Retro

BoooneDate: Tuesday, 2013-02-12, 10:56 | Message # 2
Group: Lieutenant
Even if you posted this quite some time ago: Very nicely structured. I will thoroughly look trough and see into, what may be similarities and which stuff we may be able to employ as well.

RyeDate: Wednesday, 2013-02-13, 01:30 | Message # 3
Firstly, that guide everyone has read. That's what makes it a weak point. Secondly - depending on your clans "gaming style" - it may be worthless.

Most tactical clans use the points taught within it but tend to shy away from it by sticking to actual team tactics that are useful for them (some even have their own internal development for creating their own IOPs).

Most realism clans go beyond that, solely sticking to 'real-life' tactics; even if they aren't fully applicable in ARMA. Example being "know your ROE" and "Must do this tactic for here". The latter usually happens because most realism clans are controlled by one "clan leader" who tends to be someone with no or limited knowledge in the area and therefore they are limited to what they can output in game.

To talk about these types of clans you have to know and understand that I have been in numerous over my time, not including the 60 plus I "checked out" over my time, that they are VERY similar in structure, organization and training. If you want to stand out in this game as a clan, as a recruitment prospect then do not do the same old. Every clan teaches basic contact drills, some clans teach break contact. Rarely, if ever, do clans teach actual productive drills and by their real titles. For example the baseline break contact drill. For example a buttonhook in CQB. Instead they usually go "Yer mate, one man goes here" - because they have no fucking clue what they on about.

If you want to stand out here then you need top instructor who know their shit, not superficial "I know 20 drills" - yeah fucking amazing, tell me more [insert sarcasm].

An example of that would be: You come to a road, you know you have to cross it. What do we do? Danger crossing, right? Well, these clan guys only tend to know one or two MAXIMUM. They may decide to do the traditional, the patch or flag drill for example. It's slower, it's less used than others and it may get them killed - all because they don't know other drills and have this very conventional way of looking at warfare.

A closer example is that it happened in my clan, even from an ex-ADF bloke, "obs cross on this road". I had to stop him and say no mate, we have to do something else. Which we did and on doing so took a lot of fire - but no casualties. If we did an actual traditional obstacle crossing, we would of got fucked over from staying on the spot too long, even if we tried doing the drill really quick. All in all, be selective and expand your knowledge.

This guide is more for situational awareness. Look, you're playing this game now. An infantry game-come-light-simulator. Here are a few basic points and information. It's framed to get you thinking more like a soldier, but a conventional one at that.

It's framed at increasing tactical know-how. I know streets are linear, they are linear danger areas (LDAs) for example. Why is this? Because any idiot with an AK could be sat on one and get a very long axis of fire and therefore control over it. Once people know "this is dangerous", they improve themselves in ARMA.

Yeah, great, a Bohemia CEO promoted it and got really chummy with the maker. But these are the same guys who have added the "tactical tips" to their load screens which say such stupid quotes as "Keep running in a zig-zag fashion, it's harder for the enemy to shoot you". You know these very one-way rules and examples get no where and are to be stayed away from, basically do not trust anything 'tactical' you read on the loading screens!

All I can say is decide how you play the game and get used to it, you'll soon figure out what works and doesn't. But limit your mindset just once and you'll never figure it out. Some clans use the same-old which doesn't work for... years. Don't be like them. At the same if you're going to go 'unofficial' i.e. teach this, that way, your own way - because you either do not know or do not think it's productive to teach official drills then know that it tends to be looked down on in ARMA and therefore limits recruitment yet again. Maybe some new kids may think 'oh cool', but the experienced ones think 'what a pile of shite you're teaching me'.

An example would be cloverleaf, there is hardly any wide hallways in ARMA that you use in that setting. There are a few hallways where you could, but it would be limited of use and there are other more productive means. I could see bugs happening such as collision issues injuring people. But, heck, experiment. We did and found a number of actual CQB entries that work and could work - the really productive ones, even in PVP, were normally crazy taught in real-life but frowned upon types.

You're in infantry combat now; 360 contact , assets used against you, a section size element fighting another - or worse, a bigger element. You have to expand your base of skills. Recon, planning, leadership, contact drills, medical. Damn, you could of used 'snipers' in other games for example - but try it in ARMA with windage, elevation and other affects doing mischief to the bullet. That's exactly why other game experience tends to not count and why clans promote if they have military or ex-military members, because their experience counts.

RaptorDate: Wednesday, 2013-02-13, 02:23 | Message # 4
Group: Commander
Some really nice thoughts mate, let me reply on some:

Quote (Rye)
The latter usually happens because most realism clans are controlled by one "clan leader" who tends to be someone with no or limited knowledge in the area and therefore they are limited to what they can output in game.
Our tactics are not controlled by a single person. In fact every member can
work at them, even allies like yourself can interfere in tactical
discussion here in the forum. Our leading council will have an eye on
the tactical articles and ensure high quality of the released documents.
Unfortunately we really lack of some experience. We don't have an (ex-)military in
our team yet. And since most of us come from Swat4, our knowledge is
mostly limited to CQB. Actually only Swat-style CQB to be honest.
But we try to change this. We are always looking for new tactics,
alternatives to do things in another way or details to improve. Should
any member ever come up with the idea, that our tactical arsenal is
complete and won't need further modifications ever again, then either
this member will leave the team or I'll do so.
In the future our tactical documents will be ordered according to the following system:
Fundamentals
- explains general tactical concepts and terms which are mostly common sense
(i.e. used in the same way by other realistic clans or real-life units)
- usually classified as public

Standard Operational Procedures SOPs
- based on and extend the fundamentals
- should explain specific procedures, tactics and movements
- contain also team specific agreements/definitions
- every modification must be approved by the Commission before validation

Documents in this 2 categories might include hints concerning differences between
tactics in real-life and computer games. But they do not contain any
hints specific for a certain game!
Every Squad may create own tactical documents which contain hints or small
modifications of the documents above to adapt to the specific
game-dynamics.
[Note: a Squad is an internal organisation unit focused on exactly one game]

The goal is a common tactical base for the whole team,
squad/game-independent. This shall allow members to get familiar with a
new game very fast, simply because they already know 40%-98% of the
tactics from another game.

We are currently working on some content for this structure. But that
takes time, and it's not the only project we are working on.
Nevertheless I hope we can release some cool tactical documents soon wink

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

BoooneDate: Wednesday, 2013-02-13, 06:38 | Message # 5
Group: Lieutenant
Thanks Rye for this input. I do not really have any points to single out, but I will reply to the general point of your post.

First of all, of course we do not plan to "copy" these or only base ourselves on these documents. However I personally think that this guide has some helpful contents for starters, which we basically are on the basis of Arma 2, since after all we are still in the process of getting the game up to par in our team.

We will, of course, take multiple sources to building our framework of tactical assets and in that mostly focusing on what is available from real military forces, mostly those of the United States to have a basis to our tactics overall. Before writing any guides, we plan to play the game itself a lot, without really having set too much except some basic stuff at first, trying out what works based on stuff we came across.

RyeDate: Monday, 2013-02-18, 03:54 | Message # 6
Heh. No worries. Just a few thoughts.

You can use some parts of our old guide, numbed down, if you want?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7_H_r6qMggeeDhTN2JlVU5SazQ/edit

It's a good starter. We used to hand them out to newbies to see if they could take in information. And... I've tried to do a lot with ARMA in terms of CQB but it is very limited to what you can do. It's enormous to what you can't. There's certainly a lot of lessons learnt.

You'll find ARMA more focused with infantry drills: Reaction to contact, break contact, bounding, overwatch, leapfrogging and so on. It's very much field-related rather than urban.

TheIceManDate: Monday, 2013-02-18, 11:04 | Message # 7
Group: NCO
Awards: 1
Nice discusion guys...@ RYE mate the links which are in the google docs connected to you AAF dont work...Or person must be logged in on the web?

No Retreat No Surrender

RyeDate: Monday, 2013-02-18, 12:38 | Message # 8
Mm don't know. I'll try upload it another time.

TheIceManDate: Saturday, 2013-03-16, 18:45 | Message # 9
Group: NCO
Awards: 1
http://www.globalsecurity.org/militar....ch1.htm Some tactical manuals for open areas etc....good stuff for ARMAholics

each content of this site and topic has its own tests so you can check your knowledge. : http://www.globalsecurity.org/militar....pe1.htm

No Retreat No Surrender

RaptorDate: Saturday, 2013-03-16, 20:04 | Message # 10
Group: Commander
This site is already part of our reference list. And remember to create a new thread to introduce a new external source.

"Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at."
Murphy's Laws of Combat #9

Forums » Discussions » Tactics and Techniques » Content - Arma 2 Tactics manual
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Communications